IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Fowler, John, (active 1794), John Fowler halfpenny token, 1794
John Fowler halfpenny token.
- Additional Title(s):
Payable at I. Fowler's London
Payable at J. Fowler's London
- London?, 1794.
- Physical Description:
- 1 token : copper ; 28 mm in diameter
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFlat D 8cYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Obverse: Head of Neptune, with trident. Lettering: HALFPENNY.
Reverse: Whale fishing scene. Lettering: PAYABLE AT I. FOWLER'S LONDON. WHALE FISHERY. 1794
Conder, J. Arrangement of provincial coins, tokens, and medalets issued in Great Britain, Ireland, and the colonies, within the last twenty years, Middlesex 87
Dalton, R. Provincial token-coinage of the 18th century, Middlesex 306
Atkins, J. Tradesmen's tokens of the eighteenth century, Middlesex 221
A Conder token, or privately minted coin, probably issued by John Fowler, oil merchant and tin plate worker at 78 Long Acre, London.
- Subject Terms:
- Fowler, John, (active 1794)Oil industries -- Great Britain.Whale oil -- Great Britain.Whaling -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.