Enys, John Samuel, 1796-1872, John Samuel Enys album of cartes de visite, circa 1860-1885?
John Samuel Enys album of cartes de visite.
- Great Britain, circa 1860-1885?
- Physical Description:
- 1 album (58 cartes de visite) : albumen prints ; 16 x 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTR680.A53 E59Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Bound in contemporary blind-stamped morocco with gilt clasps, the locking sections now missing. Red and gilt fleur-de-lis motifs to the edges of the book block.
An album of 58 mounted carte de visite photographs, perhaps compiled by John Samuel Enys, or the Enys family. The cartes de visite are inserted behind arched window mounts, on the rectos and versos of 15 thick gilt-edged leaves. All text at the foot or on the reverse of the cards is generally hidden. Subjects include British gentry, minor politicians, and military officers, with nearly equal numbers of women and men. Most subjects are identified, in graphite. Some identifications include maiden/married names, or dates of death. A preliminary leaf bears the inscription: “Col. Thomas. His troop of artillery at the Crimea. Names marked at back of some officers"; for a majority of subjects, however, there is no clear link to the Crimean War. The names of two studio photographers are visible: J.E. Mayall, 164 New Bond Street, London, and Disderi & Cie.
Attribution of the compilation to Enys is based on photographs at the beginning and end of the volume. The final two window mounts bear photographs of John Samuel Enys and Catherine Enys. On the facing page is a large unidentified photograph of a man and horse; this may also be John Samuel Enys. The man with horse bears close resemblance to a man depicted in a small portrait photograph mounted on to the inner front board, under which is written “ME, 1861.”
- Subject Terms:
- Crimean War, 1853-1856.Enys, Catherine, 1813-1893.Enys, John Samuel, 1796-1872.Great Britain. Army -- Officers -- Portraits.Politicians -- Great Britain -- Portraits.
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs)
- 1. Lady Pelham. Lord Pelham
- 2. Mr. Fred Thomas
- 3. Mr. & Mrs. Goring (2)
- 4. Mr. Nevill Ward. Miss Ward
- 5. Miss Ward, now Mrs. Phips. Miss Grace Ward.
- 6. Mrs. G. [illegible]. Mr. Ingham, Mr. Blencowe, both dead, by Slater of Berwick (?)
- 7. Mrs. Ausin. Revd. J.H. Austin
- 8. Miss Hawley, now Mrs. Cam[illegible]. Mrss M. Hawley
- 9. Lady Lucy Dundas. Mrs. Malcolm
- 10. Mr. Knapp. Lord Carrisford.
- 11. Lady Danley [?]. Reginald Thomas
- 12. Fred Thomas. Revd. Arthur Thomas
- 13. Coll. Thomas. Revd. C.E. Thomas
- 14. Fanny. Mary.
- 15. [illegible] Knapp. Mrs. Knapp
- 16. Knapp. Mrs. Knapp, died Augst. 12th 1879
- 17. Mr. W.B. Wrighton. Mrs. Wrightson
- 18. Mrs. Champagne. Champagne
- 19. Blanche, now Mrs. Wetherall & Mary now Mrs. Phillips. Miss Blanche Champagne, now Mrs. Wetherall
- 20. Henry Gage. Mrs. Gage
- 21. Mr. Tomlin. Mrs. Tomlin
- 22. Miss Amy Gage. Coll. Edd. Gage, now Genl. Gage
- 23. Lady Belper. Miss Amy Gage ... & Miss M. Gage, now Mrs. Gladstone
- 24. Frederick Dundas. James Brown
- 25. Pack Beresford. Adml. Keppel. R.N.
- 26. F. Cavendishs' edlest son. Francis Cavendish
- 27. Charles Cavendish. George Cavendish
- 28. Miss Green (?), now Mrs. Streatfield. Philip Green, married Lady Camden
- 29. Miss Falcon. Miss D'Oyly
- 30. Mr. [John Samuel] Enys. Mrs. [Catherine] Enys
- Endpaper: [Photograph of John Samuel Enys, with horse]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.