John Howard halfpenny token, [1794?]
- John Howard halfpenny token.
- Alternate Title(s):
- John Howard F.R.S.
Remember the debtors in goal
- London?, [1794?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 token : copper ; 28 mm in diameter
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsCabinet O TokensAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- A Conder token, or privately minted coin, commemorating the philanthropist and prison reformer, John Howard.
Engraved by Thomas Wyon. Manufactured by William Lutwyche.
Obverse: Bust of John Howard. Lettering: IOHN HOWARD F.R.S. HALFPENNY.
Reverse: Allegorical figure of Benevolence. Lettering: REMEMBER THE DEBTORS IN GOAL * GO FORTH.
Edge: PAYABLE AT LONDON OR DUBLIN,
Conder, J. Arrangement of provincial coins, tokens, and medalets issued in Great Britain, Ireland, and the colonies, within the last twenty years, page 225, no. 125
Dalton, R. Provincial token-coinage of the 18th century, page 230, no. 35b
Atkins, J. Tradesmen's tokens of the eighteenth century, page 370, no.109d
- Subject Terms:
- Howard, John, 1726-1790.Prison administration -- Great Britain.Prisons -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.