Descriptive catalogue of the original charters, royal grants, and donations, many with the seals, in fine preservation, monastic chartulary, official, manorial, court baron, court leet, and rent rolls, registers, and other documents, constituting the muniments of Battle Abbey... : comprising also a great mass of papers relating to the family of Browne, ennobled as the Lords Viscount Montague...with various others relating to the Sidneys, Earls of Leicester, and the whole of the Webster family evidences etc...it is presumed no collection of manuscripts of equal importance, in a national point of view, has ever been offered for sale... / on sale by Thomas Thorpe, no. 38, Bedford Street, Covent Garden, London.
- Additional Title(s):
Catalogue of the charters, grants, and immunities of Battle Abbey, Sussex, founded by William the Conqueror, in commemoration of the Battle of Hastings, and the conquest of England.
- London : Printed by J. Rider, Little Britain, London, 1835.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 221,  pages ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6 v. 35Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The collection was sold to Sir Thomas Phillipps.
"Price 6s."--price on spine.
BAC: British Art Center copy is not annotated. The volume bound in contemporary brown watered silk. Armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick.
- Subject Terms:
- Battle Abbey -- Archives.Booksellers' catalogs -- Great Britain.Brown family -- Archives.England -- Sussex.Manuscripts -- Catalogs.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Private libraries -- England.Roberts, M. -- Autograph.Sidney family -- Archives.Sussex (England) -- Genealogy.Thorpe, Thomas, 1791-1851 -- Catalogs.Webster family -- Archives.
Booksellers' labels (Provenance)
- "Preliminary memoranda of the Abbey of Battle"--preceeds catalogue proper.