The Dance of Death,, [c1971]
- The Dance of Death, by Hans Holbein the Younger. A complete facsim. of the original 1538 ed. of Les simulachres & historiees faces de la mort. With a new introd. by Werner L. Gundersheimer.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Dance of Death. 1971.
- New York, Dover Publications [c1971]
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 146 p. illus. 22 cm.
- Reference LibraryN7720 H6 L83 1971 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- French, Latin, and English.
The woodcuts are supposed to have been executed from Hans Holbein's designs by Hans Lützelburger. The French text has been ascribed to Jean de Vauzelles or to Gilles Corrozet. Cf. Harvard Univ. Library, Dept. of Graphic Arts. Catalogue of books and manuscripts, pt. 1, v. 1, 1964.
Dover ed. includes English translations of the biblical quotations and French quatrains.
Includes bibliographical references.