Wall, William Guy, 1792-approximately 1864, The Hudson River portfolio, 
- The Hudson River portfolio.
- [New York] : [Published by Henry I. Megarey and transferred to G. & C. & H. Carvill], 
- Physical Description:
- XX leaves, 20 leaves of plates : hand-colored illustrations ; 48 x 65 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2018 10Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Twenty aquatint plates by John Hill and John Rubens Smith after paintings by William Guy Wall, with 20 leaves of descriptive letterpress by John Agg.
Apparently not issued with a title page.
Imprint from plates. The imprint of plates 2-3, 5, and 11 vary: Published by H. I. Megarey & W. B. Gilley, New York, & John Mill, Charleston, S. C., and transferred to G. & C. & H. Carvill, New York; plate 19: Published by Henry I. Megarey, New York.
Originally issued in 5 numbers (of 4 plates each) between 1821 and 1825; six numbers were intended. "Publication rights were transferred in 1828 to G. & C. & H. Carvill ..."--Koke.
Koke, R.J. Checklist of the American engravings of John Hill (1770-1850), 75-94
Stokes, I.N.P. Iconography of Manhattan Island, 1498-1909, v. 3, p. 573
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary quarter calf, with leather title label on front cover. Presentation inscription: "A Son Altesse Royale Le Prince de Joinville. Hommage et Souvenir des Francois résidant à New York. 21 Juin 1838."
- 1. Little Falls at Luzerne -- 2. The Junction of the Sacandaga and Hudson Rivers -- 3. View vear Jessups Landing -- 4. Rapids above Hadleys Falls -- 5. Hadley's Falls -- 6. Glenns Falls -- 7. View near Sandy Hill -- 8. Baker's Falls -- 9. View near Fort Miller -- 10. Fort Edward -- 11. Troy from Mount Ida -- 12. View near Hudson -- 13. Hudson -- 14. Newburg) -- 15. View from Fishkill looking to West Point -- 16. West Point -- 17. View near Fishkill -- 18. View near Fort Mongomery -- 19. Palisades -- 20. New York from Governors Island.
- Subject Terms:
- Hudson River (N.Y. and N.J.) -- Description and travel.Hudson River (N.Y. and N.J.) -- Pictorial works.Hudson River Valley (N.Y. and N.J.) -- Description and travel.Hudson River Valley (N.Y. and N.J.) -- Pictorial works.Joinville, François-Ferdinand-Philippe-Louis-Marie d'Orléans, prince de, 1818-1900 -- Presentation inscription.New York (N.Y.) -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1828.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.