Silvy, Camille-Léon-Louis, 1834-1910, Studio portrait of Emalani Kalanikaumaka'amano Kaleleonalani Na'ea (Queen Emma) of Hawaii, 1865
- Studio portrait of Emalani Kalanikaumaka'amano Kaleleonalani Na'ea (Queen Emma) of Hawaii.
- London, 1865.
- Physical Description:
- 1 photograph : albumen print ; 26.5 x 23 cm, mounted on sheet 36 x 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2018 47a (Cabinet N)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Related Content:
- View the National Portrait Gallery portrait of Emma (NPG Ax64561)
- The studio portrait of Emalani Kalanikaumaka'amano Kaleleonalani Na'ea (Queen Emma) of Hawaii (1836-1885) was taken while she visited London in 1865 to meet missionary groups. During this visit Emma was received by Queen Victoria, who wrote favorably of their meeting and noted that “She was dressed in just the same widow's weeds as I wear.” Carte de visite portraits by Silvy of Queen Emma show the same studio backdrop as is evident in this large-format portrait. The collections of the National Portrait Gallery include a Silvy portrait of Emma in different clothing and with different furniture, but the same backdrop (NPG Ax64561). The NPG portrait is dated 16 September 1865. See link herewith.
A French diplomat, Silvy (1834-1910) excelled with landscape and still life photographs and a series of street scenes titled Studies on Light. He exhibited at the first Paris Salon of Photography in 1859. He moved to London in the same year, took up photography professionally and quickly established what was to become one of the most fashionable and successful portrait studios in Britain, specializing in the recently invented small carte de visite format.
Mounted to the verso of the sheet is another albumen print, 18 x 14 cm, depicting the ornately sculpted entrance to an unidentified church building.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Emma, Queen, consort of Kamehameha IV, King of the Hawaiian Islands, 1836-1885 -- Portraits.Hawaii -- Kings and rulers -- Portraits.
- Albumen prints.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.