Eileen Hogan : personal geographies / Elisabeth R. Fairman ; with essays by Eileen Hogan, Duncan Robinson, Roderick Conway Morris, Todd Longstaffe-Gowan, and Sarah Victoria Turner ; photographs by Sandra Lousada.
- New Haven, CT : Yale Center for British Art, in association with Yale University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 272 pages : color illustrations ; 27 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.H66842 F35 2019 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Published in conjunction with an exhibition organized by Elisabeth R. Fairman and presented at the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, from May 9 to August 11, 2019.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
"This visually stunning survey provides an in-depth look at Eileen Hogan's (b. 1946) working methods. Covering her entire career, it focuses particularly on two dominant themes in the artist's oeuvre--enclosed gardens and portraiture. Her depictions of gardens range from London's well-known Kew Gardens and Chelsea Physic Garden to Little Sparta, Ian Hamilton Finlay's garden in the Pentland Hills near Edinburgh. Her portraits include expressive sketches and paintings of veterans of the Second World War, and of HRH The Prince of Wales and HRH The Duchess of Cornwall. The book includes images from Hogan's sketchbooks, her studies, and finished paintings, accompanied by striking photographs of the artist at work. Essays by scholars and Hogan herself trace the artist's career from her student days at Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts through the present. This volume provides an unprecedented, intimate look at the life and work of one of the most interesting and evocative artists working today."--Yale University Press.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists -- Great Britain.Artists' books -- Great Britain.Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, 1947- -- Portraits.Charles, Prince of Wales, 1948- -- Portraits.Finlay, Ian Hamilton.Gardens -- England -- London.Gardens, British.Hogan, Eileen, 1946-Hogan, Eileen, 1946- -- Exhibitions.Little Sparta (Dunsyre, Scotland)Oral history.Painting, British.Portrait painting, British.World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Great Britain -- Portraits.
- Foreword / Amy Meyers
- Eileen Hogan: Personal Geographies / Elisabeth R. Fairman
- A Conversation with My Earlier Self / Eileen Hogan
- Beyond Appearances: Eileen Hogan's Paintings / Duncan Robinson
- An Artist in Greece / Roderick Conway Morris
- Letterforms and Artist's Books / Elisabeth R. Fairman
- Green Spaces. The Three Perfections: Eileen Hogan and Urban Space / Todd Longstaffe-Gowan
- Enclosed Gardens
- Four Squares
- Little Sparta
- Portraiture. Painting Portraits, Recording Lives / Sarah Victoria Turner
- Life Story Portraits
- Commissioned Portraits
- List of Artist's Books by Eileen Hogan.