Riley, Noël, The accomplished lady , 2017
The accomplished lady : a history of genteel pursuits c. 1660-1860 / Noël Riley.
- [United Kingdom] : Oblong, 2017.
West Yorkshire, UK : D & M Heritage Ltd.
Plymouth, United Kingdom : Latimer Trend, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 460 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 26 cm
- Reference LibraryHQ1149.G7 R55 2017 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 442-453) and index.
"This is a study of the skills and pastimes of upper-class women and the works they produced during a 200-year period. These activities included watercolours, printmaking and embroidery, shell work, rolled and cut paper work, sand painting, wax flower modelling, painting on fabrics and china, leather work, japanning, silhouettes, photography and many other activities, some familiar and others little known. The context for these activities sets the scene: the general position of women in society and the constraints on their lives, their virtues and values, marriage, domestic life and education. This background is amplified with chapters on other aspects of women's experience, such as sport, reading, music, dancing and card-playing"--Book jacket.
- Subject Terms:
- Decorative arts -- Great Britain.Decorative arts.Great Britain.Handicraft -- Great Britain.Handicraft.Women -- Conduct of life.Women -- Great Britain -- Conduct of life.Women -- Great Britain -- Social life and customs.Women -- Social life and customs.
- 1. A woman's lot
- 2. Educating a lady
- 3. Reading and literary pursuits
- 4. Cards, indoor games and theatricals
- 5. The sporting lady
- 6. Dancing and public entertainment
- 7. Music
- 8. Embroidery
- 9. Threads and ribbons
- 10. Beadwork
- 11. Shellwork
- 12. Nature into art
- 13. Paperwork
- 14. Drawing and painting
- 15. Creativity with paints and prints
- 16. Japanning
- 17. Penwork
- 18. Silhouettes
- 19. Photography and the Victorian lady
- 20. Sculpture, carving, turning and metalwork
- 21. Toys and trifles.