Linwood, Mary, 1755-1845, Exhibition of Miss Linwood's pictures in needle work , [1798?]
- Exhibition of Miss Linwood's pictures in needle work : at the Hanover-Square concert rooms.
- [London] : [publisher not identified], [1798?]
- Physical Description:
- 23,  pages ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK9198.L5 E9 1798Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- "The picture collection, steadily added to until Miss Linwood lost her eyesight when she was about seventy-five, eventually consisted of over sixty reproductions, in addition to a self-portrait she made when she was nineteen. ... The catalogue appended to each title an appropriate excerpt from poetry, mostly from favorite eighteenth-century authors like Thomson."--Altick, Richard D. The shows of London. Cambridge, Mass. : Belknap Press, 1978, p. 401.
Page 23 in the catalog includes an entry for Linwood's Tygress, after a painting by George Stubbs. The original needlework picture is now in the collection of the Yale Center for British Art, Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts (see link provided herewith). Accompanying the catalog entry is an excerpt of verse from Milton's Paradise Lost: "Then as a tiger, who by chance hath spy'd In some purlieu two gentle fawns at play, strait couches close, then rising changes oft' His couchant watch, as one who chose his ground, Whence rushing he might surest seize them both Griped in each paw." This is followed by two lines from Thomson's Seasons: "The Tyger darting fierce Impetuous on the prey his glance has doom'd."
Last page blank.
BAC: British Art Center copy in plain blue wrappers, with cream paper spine. Autographs: Sarah Williamson; Sarah Browne [different hands]. Pasted to the page  is a stipple-engraved portrait of Miss Linwood, after Beechey. The same portrait is in the collection of the British Museum (1887,0722.69) where it appears with imprint "Published Decr 1st for La Belle Assemblée No 155"; the version pasted in here has been trimmed at bottom, removing the imprint.
- Subject Terms:
- Browne, Sarah -- Autograph.Decoration and ornament -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Embroidery -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Linwood, Mary, 1755-1845.Needlework -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Stubbs, George, 1724-1806. Tigress.Williamson, Sarah -- Autograph.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.