Weigall, Henry, 1800-1883, Art Union medal commemorating John Flaxman, 1854
Art Union medal commemorating John Flaxman.
- Additional Title(s):
Inscription on obverse: Flaxman
Inscription on edge: Art-Union of London 1854
- England, 1854.
- Physical Description:
- 1 medal : bronze ; 56 mm in diameter
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process Cabinet OYale Center for British Art, Gift of Duncan and Lisa RobinsonAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The present design was preceded by two unfulfilled commissions by W. Wilson (1847) and W. Wyon (1851). See: Beaulah.
Obverse: Portrait of Flaxman in profile. Inscribed: Flaxman. Henry Weigall sc.
Reverse: Bas-relief of Flaxman's Mercury and Pandora. Inscribed: H. Weigall fecit.
Edge: Art-Union of London 1854.
Brown, L. Catalogue of British historical medals, 1760-1960, 2530
Eimer, C. British commemorative medals and their values, 1479
Beaulah, G.K. "The medals of the Art Union of London" In British Numismatic Journal, vol. XXXVI (1967), page 182, no. 6
- Subject Terms:
- Art Union of London.Flaxman, John, 1755-1826.Flaxman, John, 1755-1826. Mercury and Pandora.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.