Art Union medal commemorating Sir Christopher Wren.
- Additional Title(s):
Inscription on obverse: Wren
Inscription on reverse: Christopher Wren architect, MDCCX.
Inscription on edge: Art-Union of London 1846
- England, 1846.
- Physical Description:
- 1 medal : bronze ; 58 mm in diameter
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process Cabinet OYale Center for British Art, Gift of Duncan and Lisa RobinsonAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- "Thirty medals were allotted in 1846. In 1847 it was reported that work had not been completed because of illness of Wilson. In 1848 work was still in abeyance, so was given to B. Wyon. In 1849 work was further delayed through cracks appearing in both dies after a few medals had been struck, which rendered them unfit for further use. In 1850, medals distributed."--Beaulah.
Obverse: Portrait of Wren in profile. Inscribed: Wren. W. Wilson sc.
Reverse: St. Paul's Cathedral. Inscribed: Christopher Wren architect, MDCCX
Edge: Art-Union of London 1846.
Brown, L. Catalogue of British historical medals, 1760-1960, 2232
Eimer, C. British commemorative medals and their values, 1411
Beaulah, G.K. "The medals of the Art Union of London" In British Numismatic Journal, vol. XXXVI (1967), page 182, no. 3
- Subject Terms:
- Art Union of London.St. Paul's Cathedral (London, England)Wren, Christopher, Sir, 1632-1723.
YCBA Collections Search
Wilson, W. (Medallist), Art Union medal commemorating Sir Christopher Wren, 1846
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.