Boston, Virginia, Shockwave , 1978
- Shockwave / Virginia Boston ; with introductions by Danny Baker & Ian Rakoff ; photographs by Derek Ridgers, Annette Wetherman, Walt Davidson, Ray Stevenson, Richard Braine, Sheila Rock, Mick Rock, Erica Echenberg, Dennis Morris, John Ingham, Kevin Cummins, Bob Gruen, Peter Kodick, J.R., Harry F. Murlowski, Norma Morrisey, Pete of Shews, Paulo, Jo-anne Atkinson, Jane Ashley, Jill Furmanovsky.
- London : Plexus, 1978.
- Physical Description:
- 128 pages : illustrations, portraits ; 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsML3534 .B67 1978+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "1977 saw a rock revolution. Out of a future with few opportunities, British youth created a movement which came to be known as Punk Rock. Virginia Boston has, through an extraordinary collection of over 200 photographs, followed punk from its beginnings in 1976 through the eyes of the punks themselves, through their own fanzines, the lyrics of their songs, through interviews and quotes from the Sex Pistols, the Clash, the Stranglers, the Damned, the Jam, Chelsea, Generation X, the Buzzcocks, X-Ray Specs, the Slits and lots more. She has traced the movement through sensationalist press and TV reports and especially through the fluctuating career of the Sex Pistols--who gave punk its original energy--and its notoriety. Punk has its own music, magazines, dress, attitudes, clubs and record labels. They are all in Shockwave, along with the kids who started it at street level and fought on to keep the motivation behind the new wave for change -- any change."--Back cover.
Includes a section on punk fashion and the Roxy Club, pages -127.
"Designed by Derek Ridgers."--Title page verso.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Fashion -- Great Britain.New wave music -- History and criticism.Portrait photography.Punk rock culture -- Great Britain.Punk rock music -- History and criticism.Punk rock musicians -- Great Britain.Rock music -- 1971-1980 -- History and criticism.Roxy Club (London, England)Sex Pistols (Musical group)
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.