Smith, Elizabeth, approximately 1787-, A map of England and Wales , 1797
A map of England and Wales / Elizabeth Smith.
- Great Britain, 1797.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : silk embroidery on linen ; 57 x 50 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTextiles 11Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlases (manuscript)
- Scale approximately 1:1,600,000 -- (W 6°00'00"--E 2°00'00"/N 56°00'00"--N 49°00'00")
- Title from cartouche, enclosed within simple garland at upper right.
For a study of cartographic samplers, see: Tyner, Judith A. Stitching the world: embroidered maps and women's geographical education. Farnham : Ashgate, 2015. The overall design and the the floral framing device in the present sampler is loosely similar to that depicted in Tyner's plate 14.
Embroidered map sampler on linen depicting England and Wales. The map is embroidered at bottom: "Elizabeth Smith, 1797." At its edges, the sampler depicts parts of Ireland, Scotland, and France. It delineates and names every county in England and Wales, with silks of alternating colors. Major bodies of water are identified; cities are not. The map lacks indications of latitude and longitude. At lower left is a compass, directly above a bar scale that lacks indications of measure.The map area is surrounded by an (embroidered) floral wreath, within an oval band, the bottom of which includes the inscription: "Elizabeth Smith, 1797."
The sampler is now removed from its gilt frame (Quarto Room \ Drawer 8).
- Subject Terms:
- Cartography -- Study and teaching.England -- Maps.Geography -- Study and teaching.Smith, Elizabeth, approximately 1787-Wales -- Maps.Women -- Education -- Great Britain.
Embroidery (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.