Facing new worlds, 2018
Facing new worlds.
- Canberra : National Portrait Gallery, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 44 pages : illustrations (some colour), portraits (some colour) ; 25 cm
- Reference LibraryN7615.4 .F33 2018 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Related Content:
- Online resource ;
- Exhibition held: National Portrait Gallery, Canberra, 15 November 2018 - 22 April 2019.
Website for project researching the comparative histories of Australasia and North America through biography and portraiture, 1750-1850. : https://facingnewworlds.org.
As a kind of taster to the major exhibition in 2020, members of the project team will assist in curating a smaller exhibition in late 2018 in the NPG's Robert Oatley Gallery.
Contributers: Kate Fullagar, David Hansen, Shannon Brett, Jodie Dowd, Joanna Gilmour.
Facing New Worlds moves away from a focus on significant individual Europeans in the colonization of our region. Instead, it highlights the way that Europeans had to negotiate with Indigenous interlocutors to achieve anything. The portraits here illustrate those negotiations in their pairings of Europeans and Indigenous people. They also remind us that all portraiture is a representation of a relationship between sitter and artist. Indigenous people were not passive victims of European force, but fought, engaged, and shaped European intentions all through the so-called Age of Exploration. They also faced more than just the British during this era; they had to face French incursions quite as often. European exploration in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries opened up new worlds for everyone involved.
- Subject Terms:
- Aboriginal Australians -- Portraits.Aboriginal Australians in art.Art, Colonial -- Australia -- Exhibitions.Indigenous peoples -- Pacific Area -- Exhibitions.Indigenous peoples -- Pacific Area -- Portraits.Indigenous peoples in art.Portraits, Australian.