Drawings faithfully copied from nature at Naples : and with permission dedicated to the Right Honourable Sir William Hamilton, His Britannic Majesty's Envoy Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary at the court of Naples / by his most humble servant Frederick Rehberg, historical painter in His Prussian Majesty's service at Rome, MDCCXCIV.
- Additional Title(s):
Lady Hamilton's attitudes
- [London] : Publish'd October 12th, 1797, by S.W. Fores, No. 50 Piccadilly, corner of Sackville Street. Prints & drawings lent out on the plan of a circulating library, [October 12th, 1797]
- Physical Description:
- , XII leaves of plates : ill. ; 35 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPN3205 .R4 1802+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsPN3205 .R4 1802+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Set of 12 engravings depicting Lady Emma Hamilton performing tableaux in Greek costume.
Cover title, on engraved label: Lady Hamilton's attitudes.
A re-engraved imitation of the original plates. The originals engraved by Tommaso Piroli. The title page of this edition has a long ess in the word permission, and there is no period after Hamilton.
May have been issued 1802 or later. Various leaves of plates in both British Art Center copies have a duty stamp dated 1802. In BAC copy 1, the plates are mounted to paper watermarked 1799; in copy 2, the plates are mounted to paper watermarked 1802.
Title page and plates printed on stained orange paper; each mounted on larger paper.
BAC : British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 in original wrappers, with engraved title label. Also bears bookseller's label on front cover: "Sold at Dunford's, Great Newport Street, London." Inscribed E. Saunders. Copy 2 also in original wrappers, with engraved title label. The title page for the London, Random & Stainbank, 1800 edition of this work (title: Lady Hamilton's attitudes. Drawings faithfully copied from nature at Naples) has been laid in. This title page was aquatinted by G. Shepheard after F. Rehberg.
- Subject Terms:
- Etching -- Specimens -- 1794.Hamilton, Emma, 1761?-1815 -- Portraits.Saunders, E. -- Autograph.Tableaux.
- Etchings -- England -- London -- 1797.
Watermarks (Paper) -- J. Whatman.
YCBA Collections Search
Rehberg, Friedrich, 1758-1835, Drawings faithfully copied from nature at Naples , [October 12th, 1797]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.