A tour through the British colonies and foreign possessions, [1850s?]
- A tour through the British colonies and foreign possessions.
- London : John Betts, 115 Strand, [1850s?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game : hand-colored lithograph ; 66 x 51 cm, folded to 22 x 17 cm + 1 instruction booklet (24 pages ; 16 cm), in slipcase
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199.G7 T68 1850Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Includes 37 vignettes depicting London and British colonies. The playing area of the game board is formed of three concentric circles with London in the center. Illustrated strips at top and bottom include views and symbols of the British Empire.
Hand-colored lithographed game board, dissected in nine sections, and backed with linen.
Not dated. Latest date mentioned in instruction booklet is 1849, for the purchase of Banks's Peninsula (page 17).
Goodfellow, C. Collector's guide to games and puzzles, 18
"Catalogue of maps, atlases, dissected maps, amusing, instructive, and educational games, etc., etc., published by John Betts"-- pages at end of instruction booklet.
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: lacks instruction booklet. In original green cloth slipcase with pictorial label.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Colonies.Great Britain -- History.
- Board games.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1850-1860.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.