Dioramic pages, 
- Dioramic pages.
- London : Dean & Son, 
- Physical Description:
- 24 pages : color illustrations ; 25 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPZ6 .D56 1869+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Six children's stories, each illustrated with one "dioramic page" -- an illustration hinged at the foot, to be raised in front of a strong light. When the light passes through the sheet, an image from a second color illustration (beneath the surface illustration) becomes visible, revealing a transformation. For example, the outer illustration in one diomaric page depicts the Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius. When backlit, Vesuvius erupts, with added smoke, lava, and moonlight.
An advertisement for the present work ("ready December 10th") was published in The Bookseller, Dec. 13, 1869, page 1196.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original illustrated boards.
- The Gipsy tent, or, Lost and Found --The Child and the Flowers --The Miller's Son, or the Heedless Yet Heroic -- The Blacksmith's Daughter, or Fog and Fear -- The Faithful Nurse -- The Little Drummer Boy.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain.Children's stories, English.Toy and movable books -- Specimens.
- Chromolithographs -- 1869.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.