Moffat, John, 1819-1894, Studio portrait of William Henry Fox Talbot, 
Studio portrait of William Henry Fox Talbot.
- Edinburgh : John Moffat, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 photograph : albumen print on card mount ; mount 11 x 7 cm (carte de visite format)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPhotographs A no. 4Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Hans P. Kraus, Jr.View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- For dating (to 1864), see Gill's "Portraits of Fox Talbot." The present version is the earlier issue of the carte de visite described by Gill, with a red outline and the words "J. Moffat Edinburgh" also in red. Fox Talbot probably visited Moffat's studio soon after his participation in a meeting of the Photographic Society of Scotland on March 8, 1864 (Gill, pages 304-305).
Gill, A.T. "Portraits of Fox Talbot." In The Photographic Journal, CXV, 1975, page 305
The portrait depicts Talbot seated at an ornate desk, in the Edinburgh photographic studio of John Moffat. A variant portrait from the same studio session depicted Talbot handling the lens of camera -- not present in this portrait.
- Subject Terms:
- Photographers -- Great Britain.Talbot, William Henry Fox, 1800-1877 -- Portraits.
- Albumen prints.
Cartes-de-visite (card photographs)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.