Corke, C. Essenhigh, Photographs of interiors and art collections at Knole, 1889
Photographs of interiors and art collections at Knole.
- Physical Description:
- 16 photographs : gelatin silver prints ; each approximately 24 x 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPhotographs Oversize no. 3Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- A series of 16 photographs depicting interiors of Knole, showing sculptures and busts, tapestries, and numerous paintings alongside the lavish furnishings. The set includes one albumen print (18 x 23 cm) and 15 gelatin silver or collodio-chloride POP prints (each approximately 24 x 29 cm), each of the latter with the blind stamp of "C. Essenhigh Corke" in the lower right corner. Each print is captioned in graphite on the verso. Also present is one other photograph of the interior of the chapel at Ightham Mote, also in Kent.
Knole is home to one of England's two earliest surviving Jacobean portrait galleries. The photographs provide a useful record of the arrangement of the art collections in 1889. The dummy board figures Maidservant peeling an Apple and Gentleman in Queen Anne Dress can be seen in the Organ Room and the Chapel Room. In Lady Betty Germain's dressing room hangs a portrait attributed to Paulus van Somer the elder of Lady Margaret Sackville at age four (later Countess of Thanet), and a portrait by Cornelius Johnson. Also visible in other rooms are a self-portrait by Sir Joshua Reynolds, William Rimer's A Fortune Teller after Sir Joshua Reynolds and Caterina Cornaro, Queen of Cyprus in the manner of Titian. Above the doorway in the Cartoon Gallery one can make out King Henry VIII after Hans Holbein the younger.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain.Art in interior decoration.Country homes -- Great Britain.Furniture -- Great Britain.Ightham Mote (England)Interior architecture -- Great Britain.Interior decoration -- Great Britain.Knole House (Kent, England)Knole House (Kent, England) -- Art collections.Sackville family -- Art collections.Sackville family -- Homes and haunts.
Gelatin silver prints.
- Ball Room
- Ball Room mantlepiece
- The vestibule to Ball Room
- Brown Gallery
- Cartoon Gallery
- Chapel Room (2)
- Crimson Drawing Room (2)
- [Crimson Drawing Room, albumen print, probably earlier than 1889]
- Lady Betty Germain's Dressing Room
- Kings Bedroom
- The Leicester Gallery
- Organ Room
- Venetian Dressing Room
- The Chapel, Ightham Mote, Kent.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.