Photograph album of Jamaica and Scotland.
- Additional Title(s):
Photographic scrap book
- ca. 1870?
- Physical Description:
- 1 album (91 photographs) : albumen prints ; 31 x 25 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF1871 .P4+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Bound in maroon purple quarter morocco and purple cloth; stamped in gold on front cover: "Photographic scrap book."
The album has three sections: photographic reproductions of contemporary prints (and paintings?); photographs of Jamaica; and photographs of Scotland. The compiler of the album is unidentified, as are most of the photographers, though the caption of one image in the section of Jamaica photographs includes the initials J.F.P. All photographs are undated. Photographs vary in size, from 9 x 5 cm to 29 x 23 cm (the size of the entire page). Photographs are pasted to rectos only, with one to five images per page.
The first section (leaves 1-27) consists of 70 photographic reproductions of Victorian prints, including a number of sporting prints and prints of a sentimental nature. In fewer than half, the caption of the original print is visible.
The middle section (leaves 28-38) features 15 original photographs of Jamaica. Each photograph in this section is captioned in graphite (in the margins). The majority of images in this section depict rural scenery of the Bog Walk gorge (along the Rio Cobre) and Spanish Town. A few photographs, including the photograph of the Cathedral of St. Jago de la Vega on leaf , depict inhabitants of the area. The "Eider S.S." depicted on leaf  does not resemble the S.S. Eider launched in 1884.
The final section (leaves 39-41) comprises five photographs of scenes in Scotland made by commercial photographic studios. Each is captioned (in white letters) at the foot of the photograph, with the initials of the studios of James Valentine (Dundee) or George Washington Wilson (Aberdeen). Also laid in at the end is a photograph of an unidentified wooden shed.
- Subject Terms:
- Caledonian Canal (Scotland)Grand Ridge of the Blue Mountains (Jamaica)Inverness (Scotland)Jamaica.Killiecrankie (Scotland)Mandeville (Jamaica)Prints, British.Scotland.Spanish Town (Jamaica)Sporting prints.Waterfalls.
- [leaf 28] Blue mountains, Jamaica
- Road over Mount Diabilo [i.e. Diablo]
-  Bog Walk near Spanish Town
-  Bog Walk, Jamaica. J.F.P.
-  Bog Walk, Jamaica
-  Ferns in Bog Walk, Jamaica
-  Bridge on Bog Walk
- Roaring river falls
-  Water falls nr. Davids
- Lord Rodney's Statue, Spanish Town
-  Cotton tree at camp
-  Cathedral, Spanish Town
-  Cactus hedge
-  Mandeville
- The Eider S.S.
-  Station Hotel, Inverness .. J.V.
- Inverness Castle and Bridge. 868. J.V.
-  Viaduct, Pass of Killiecrankie, 508
- The Caledonian Canal at Fort Augustus. 1059. G.W.W.
-  Lower Fall of Foyers, Loch Ness. 694. G.W.W.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.