Religious Tract Society (Great Britain), Embossed picture cards, [1855?]
- Embossed picture cards.
- London : The Religious Tract Society : Printed by J.M. Kronheim & Co., [1855?]
- Physical Description:
- 16 cards : color illustrations ; each 10 x 7 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR1191 .E43 1855 FlatAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Each card features a small illustration (printed in color) above religious verse and Biblical excerpts. The illustrations are Baxter prints and have been printed separately, trimmed, and carefully pasted to the cards. The border of each card is gold embossed.
Title, publisher, and printer from illustrated envelope.
An advertisement for the present cards appeared in the August 1855 issue of the Missionary Register: "These cards are printed in a superior manner, in oil colours and gold: they are suited for rewards in respectable schools and families." Other contemporary advertisements describe the set as containing 16 cards.
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: comprises 14 cards. In original illustrated envelope, inscribed on the verso: Annie Smith. A birthday present from her affectionate mother, January 29th, 1856.
- The Saviour's Command -- Autumn -- The House of the Lord -- Birthday Hymn -- Praise -- The Year of the Jubilee -- Summer - The Young Exhorted -- Spring -- Evening -- The Star of Bethlehem -- Morning -- Winter -- Youthful Pilgrims.
- Subject Terms:
- Children -- Conduct of life.Christian life.Conduct of life -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Religious poetry, English -- 19th century.Smith, Annie -- Ownership.
- Recreations -- Great Britain.
Baxter prints -- 1855.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.