The changing companions : comic metamorphosis = Die veränderlichen Gesellschafter : komische Verwandlungen = Les compagnons inconstants : métamorphoses comiques / G.W. Faber.
- Additional Title(s):
- [Nuremberg, Germany] : [G.W. Faber], [ca. 1860?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game (48 pieces) ; in wooden box 20 x 21 x 5 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .C43 1860 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- BAC: British Art Center copy in original wooden box.
Metamorphoses game designed by Georg Wolfgang Faber. The game consists of six pairs of figures (hand-colored lithographs), each figure dissected into four triangular wooden pieces. The paired figures include:  characters based on the Commedia dell'arte in a modified guise of Colombina and Pulcinella;  a North African soldier, holding an acrobatic monkey, paired with a Chinese mandarin playing on panpipes;  a tailor paired with a cobbler;  an infantry cornet player paired with a Scottish regimental drummer;  a fox presenting a "conte," paired with a rabbit preparing to give a gold coin;  a military pair, the woman dressed as a vivandière, and the man as a French officer, the pair modeled on Marie and Tonio from Donizetti's La fille du régiment.
Issued in a wooden box, with sliding lid. The illustrated lid bears the title, in English, German, and French.
The lithographer/publisher G.W. (George Wolfgang) Faber was active at Nuremberg, Germany.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Commedia dell'arte.Donizetti, Gaetano, 1797-1848. Fille du régiment.Games -- Specimens.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Soldiers.
- Metamorphic pictures.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Games -- Great Britain.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1860.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.