Leigh and Sotheby, A catalogue of the very extensive and valuable collection of botanical prints, drawings, and books of drawings , 
- A catalogue of the very extensive and valuable collection of botanical prints, drawings, and books of drawings : the property of the late John Earl of Bute : comprising many hundred capital botanical drawings on paper and vellum : likewise all the plates, plain and coloured, of the botanical works then extant : the whole collected at a vast expense, and forming a most complete illustration of the Species Plantarum : arranged for convenience of sale accotding to the Linnæan System : likewise, a very good collection of books on botany and natural history : which will be sold by auction by Leigh and S. Sotheby, booksellers, at their house, no. 145, Strand, opposite Catherine Street, on Thursday, April 20, 1809, and five following days, at 12 o'clock.
- [London] : [Leigh and Sotheby], 
- Physical Description:
- 30 pages ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6 v. 18 no. 4Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 7569
Date of sale: April 20-25, 1809.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is not annotated. Number 4 of 4 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf. Armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Botanical illustration -- Catalogs.Bute, John Stuart, Earl of, 1713-1792 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.Drawing, British -- Catalogs.Drawing, European -- Catalogs.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Prints, British -- Catalogs.Prints, European -- Catalogs.
- Auction catalogs.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.