The two riders =, [circa 1855?]
- The two riders = Das Reiterpaar = Une cavalcade à deux.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Two riders
Cavalcade à deux
- [Germany] : G.W. Faber, [circa 1855?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 toy ; in box 25 x 20 x 4 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFlat C 2019 2Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The toy includes a pair of wooden bases, to the front of which are attached images of foliage in a landscape. The bases support leaded wood pendulums, each of which can be mounted with six interchangeable animals and eight riders. The pendulum enables a rocking motion, giving the illusion of moving riders. All pieces are illustrated by hand-colored lithographs.
The paired figures include: a Scottish lad and lassie; a young girl holding her doll with a young boy dressed as a cavalryman; a romantically attired king with his queen dressed in feathers and furs; a girl with an arrow and the boy with a spear; and a girl with a hand puppet of an old woman brandishing a broom paired with a boy clown in a striped costume and conical hat brandishing another broom. The mounts include a bay horse, gray horse, reindeer, goat, dog, and zebra.
Title from box top. The publisher's name appears in small script at lower left.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Germany -- 19th century.Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Toys -- Germany -- 19th century.Toys -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
- Recreations -- Great Britain.
Toys (recreational artifacts)
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1855.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.