Hopkins, Sydney Houseman, 1886-1939, Sydney Houseman Hopkins photograph album, ca. 1900-1922
Sydney Houseman Hopkins photograph album.
- Great Britain, ca. 1900-1922.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (approximately 800 photographs, on 58 leaves) ; 27 x 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD629.G7 H67+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Bound in black half roan and black cloth.
The album is signed at front: "S.H. Hopkins, 83 Muirkirk Road, Catford, SE6."
The album begins with a selection of family photographs from before 1904, a small number of which depict Sydney Houseman Hopkins. Subject matter includes holiday snapshots of Weymouth, family and friends, the family suburban garden, and seaside boat excursions.
Approximately 150 of the 800 photographs pertain to the First World War. Hopkins was stationed at Richmond Park after joining the reserves of the 3/15th Battalion London Regiment. Two photographs dated August 1916 show Hopkins "Somewhere in France"; he's depicted with a bicycle, rifle, and a trophy German helmet. He was soon wounded. A photograph dated September 1, 1916, depicts Hopkins in a hospital bed next to a fellow casualty. Photographs that follow record his life in Ward 3 of St. Luke's War Hospital in Halifax, with depictions of fellow casualties. Hopkins was transferred at the end of 1916 to the Appleyard Ward of Royal Halifax Infirmary, where he remained for about one year. Photographs in this section depict groups, fancy dress parties, or portraits of fellow patients and nurses.
The latter portion of the album includes photographs dated up until 1922, with images of weddings, children, and conventional civilian life.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain. Army.Hopkins, Sydney Houseman, 1886-1939.Military nursing -- Great Britain.Nurses -- Great Britain.Royal Halifax Infirmary (Halifax, England)St. Luke's Military Hospital (Halifax, England)World War, 1914-1918 -- Hospitals -- Great Britain.World War, 1914-1918 -- Medical care -- Great Britain.World War, 1914-1918.
Gelatin silver prints.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.