Ross, Horatio, 1801-1886, Photograph album of scenes in the Scottish Highlands, Aberdeenshire, and Edinburgh, circa 1858
Photograph album of scenes in the Scottish Highlands, Aberdeenshire, and Edinburgh.
- Great Britain, circa 1858.
- Physical Description:
- 60 photographs in 1 album : salted paper prints, albumen prints ; prints each approximately 27 x 33 cm, in volume 37 x 45 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2019 20Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Joy of Giving Something, Inc.Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Captions are written in graphite on the mounts (leaves of the album), in a contemporary hand. Three images are dated 1858. Photograph 6 is attributed to "Mrs. Ross" (presumably Horatio's wife, Justine Henriette Frédérique Ross).
Bound in quarter leather and brown cloth. Some of the leaves are now disbound and housed in a separate solander box. These photographs are noted in the contents note herewith.
In the contents note, the titles of photographs are transcribed as they appear in captions.
Photographs in the album are by the noted Scottish sportsman and amateur photographer, Horatio Ross (1801-1866). Ross was a founder of the Photographic Society of Scotland (in 1856) and became president of the Society in 1858. A number of the photographs depict scenery on or near Ross's estate at Netherley (near Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire), including a number of images of rock formations along the coastline. Nine photographs at the end of the album depict locations in Edinburgh, including Ross's home in Greenhill Gardens.
Horatio Ross's interest in hunting is evoked in the four photographs on leaves 16-19, each of which depict a dead stag (one apparently shot by Ross's son, Colin). Other photographs depict mountains, rivers (burns), and falls of the Scottish Highlands, especially around Glen Affric.
- Subject Terms:
- Aberdeenshire (Scotland)Affric, Glen (Scotland)Ardgay (Scotland)Ardross Castle (Scotland)Bedford, Elizabeth Russell, Duchess of, 1818-1897.Bonar Bridge (Scotland)Coasts -- Scotland.Deer hunting -- Scotland.Dornoch (Scotland)Dunnottar Castle (Scotland)Edinburgh (Scotland)Edinburgh Castle (Edinburgh, Scotland)Feshie, Glen (Scotland)George Heriot's Hospital (Edinburgh, Scotland)Highlands (Scotland)Mountains -- Scotland.Netherley (Scotland)River Shin (Scotland)Rivers -- Scotland.Ross, Colin George, 1839-1909.Ross, Horatio, 1801-1886.Scotland.Scott Monument (Edinburgh, Scotland)Sgurr na Lapaich (Scotland)Stags (Deer)
Salted paper prints.
- 1. West end of the Island of Affaric
- 2. Cavern on the sea coast near Netherley
- 3. The glen in a snow storm, November 1858
- 4. The old lodge
- 5. Dibidale Burn close to the ford
- 6. The Shepherd's Burn & Falls, by Mrs. Ross
- 7. Summit of Cairn Curragh [?]
- 8. Summit of Cairn Bren
- 9. Old man's cottage on downe
- 10. Fir trees on banks of Dornoch Firth, between Ardgay Fearn
- 11. Rock pool on River Carron
- 12. Ardross Castle
- 13 [loose]. Banks of the [River] Shin
- 14. Banks of the Shin
- 15. Bonar Bridge [with two-masted ship]
- 16. Stag
- 17. Colin's [i.e. Colin George Ross's?] stag
- 18. [Stag] Killed by Mr. Ross on (?) soil, 1858
- 19. [Stag] Killed by Mr. Ross on Craig (?) opposite (?) soil, October 1858
- 20. Sallachy Burn, a little above the ford, we cross going to Dibidale, via Greenford
- 21. Fall of Fearn
- 22. Burn of Fearn below the fall
- 23 [loose]. Sea coast near Netherley
- 24. View of the sea coast near Netherley
- 25 [loose]. Sea coast near Netherley
- 26-35 [nos. 27, 29, and 33 are loose]. Sea coast near Netherley [nos. 31- 34 depict people within the views]
- 36. View of Dunnottar Castle
- 37. Dunnottar Castle
- 38. Dunnottar Castle
- 39. Cavern on the sea coast near Netherley
- 40 [loose]. The long walk, Netherley
- 41. View from the balcony of Netherley, first symptoms of winter
- 42. South approach to Netherley
- 43. The Duchess of Bedford's shooting quarters in Glenfeshie
- 44. The old dining room & lodge ... Glen Feshie
- 45. Fasnakyle [?]
- 46. Affaric lodge
- 47. Affaric, Scour na Lapich [Sgurr na Lapaich] & Carne ?? in the distance
- 48. Scour na Lapich, mist on the top
- 49. Dog fall bridge near Fasnakyle
- 50. Burn on the Affaric
- 51. Summit of Mahm Soul [i.e. Mam Sodhail, or Mam Soul]
- 52. Old town of Edinburgh from Princes Street
- 53. Heriot's Hospital [Edinburgh]
- 54. Sir Walter Scott's Monument [Edinburgh]
- 55. About a mile from Edinr. on the old road near Liberton
- 56. My house, Greenhill Gardens [Edinburgh]
- 57. View from my house at Greenhill Gardens
- 58. View from my house at Greenhill Gardens
- 59. View of the West Kirk & Castle from top of Dean Ramsay's chapel
- 60. Scott Monument.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.