- Burselm, Stoke-on-Trent, England, 1848.
- Physical Description:
- 1 jug : tan relief-molded stoneware, with metal lid ; 23 cm high (including lid) x 11 cm in diameter (12 cm including handle)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsParks Jug 24Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Stephen Parks, Yale BA 1961View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- With a metal lid with scrolling thumbpiece.
Title from Hughes.
Hughes, Kathy. Collector's guide to nineteenth-century jugs, v. 1, no. 79
Henrywood, R. K. Relief-moulded jugs, 1820-1900, pages 184-186
The jug is decorated on both sides with a scene based on a painting by John Singleton Copley, Samuel Relating to Eli the Judgements of God upon Eli's House, 1780. Beneath the spout on the front of the jug is a single figure with turban and breastplate carrying a smoking incense burner.
- Subject Terms:
- Eli (Biblical figure)Parks, Stephen -- Ownership.Samuel (Biblical judge)
- Jugs (vessels)
Metalwork (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.