The Moray Minstrels 1867 : Arthur J. Lewis at Home : Moray Lodge, Camden Hill Kensington : Saturdays. Feb. 23, March 30, April 27.
- [London] : publisher not identified, 1867.
- Physical Description:
- 1 invitation card : wood engraving ; 13 x 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1472.5 .L49 1867 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Arthur James Lewis would welcome male friends to Moray Lodge, his bachelor establishment on Campden Hill, overlooking London's Holland Park, for a music party over the winter months. Once a month between January and March, singers would gather on a Saturday evening at 8:30 pm to perform modern and ancient works; and an oyster supper was served at eleven.
Wood engraving by W. H. Hooper; after Frederick Walker.
1867 invitation card for Arthur J. Lewis's musical entertainments on Saturdays at Moray Lodge, Campden Hill, Kensington. Wood engraving is a Bacchic scene of dancers and musicians from a red-on-black vase.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Entertaining -- England -- London -- 19th century.Invitations -- Specimens.Lewis, Arthur James, 1824 or 1825-1901Music -- England -- London -- 19th century.
- Wood engravings -- 1867.
YCBA Collections Search
Lewis, Arthur James, 1824 or 1825-1901, The Moray Minstrels 1867 , 1867
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.