Lewis, Arthur James, 1824 or 1825-1901, The Moray Minstrels 1866 , 1866
- The Moray Minstrels 1866 : Arthur J. Lewis at Home : Moray Lodge, Camden Hill Kensington : Saturdays. Jan. 27, Feb. 24, Mar. 31, April 28 : music-8:30.
- [London] : publisher not identified, 1866.
- Physical Description:
- 1 invitation card : etching ; 14 x 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1472.5 .L495 1866 BoxAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Arthur James Lewis would welcome male friends to Moray Lodge, his bachelor establishment on Campden Hill, overlooking London's Holland Park, for a music party over the winter months. Once a month between January and March, singers would gather on a Saturday evening at 8:30 pm to perform modern and ancient works; and an oyster supper was served at eleven.
1866 invitation card for Arthur J. Lewis's musical entertainments on Saturdays at Moray Lodge, Campden Hill, Kensington. Etching is a design of Minerva and Apollo seated on either side of a wreath and large pedestal, crowned by a shallow vase.
Etching after Frederick Walker.
Marks, J. G. Life and letters of Frederick Walker, A.R.A. Londo : Macmillan, 1896, pages 67-68.
BAC: British Art Center copy is a proof copy printed on india paper. Proof, 14 x 20 cm, is mounted on card 15 x 24 cm.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Entertaining -- England -- London -- 19th century.Invitations -- Specimens.Lewis, Arthur James, 1824 or 1825-1901Music -- England -- London -- 19th century.
- Etching -- 1866.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.