Andersen, H. C. (Hans Christian), 1805-1875, The wild swans , 1986
The wild swans / by Hans Christian Andersen ; wood engravings by Sarah Chamberlain.
- Additional Title(s):
Vilde svaner. English
- Hyattsville, Md. : Rebecca Press, 1986.
- Physical Description:
- 92 pages : illustrations ; 71 mm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPT8117 .W55 1986 FlatYale Center for British Art, Gift of Neale Albert, Yale JD 1961, and Margaret AlbertAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "This edtion of The Wild Swans consists of 250 regular, 50 deluxe and 15 state proof copies -- all of which were bound at the Green Dragon Press."--Colophon.
"The Wild Swans is the second in a set of three fairy tales published by Rebecca Press, in which roses are significant story elements. The book is illustrated with original wood engravings by Sarah Chamberlain . Design by Rebecca Saady Bingham. Mackenzie-Harris set the book in Kennnerley LIght Monotype. Darrell Hyde printed 315 copies in the summer of 1986."--Colophon
BAC: British Art Center copy is unnumbered. In a bespoke binding by Kari Tveite, with accompanying material, including a letter from Tveite to Neale Albert, describing her work: "... As the shirts are an integral part of this story, I have knitted one in 'stinging nettle' green ... The book fits inside ... The miniature is a multisectional rounded and backed, hand-dyed full leather bradel binding, sewn ... The design represents stinging nettles growing, with eleven blind tooled crowns for eleven princes ... Along with the book and knitted shirt, the two tray drop back box contains an original hand-made (by binder) finishing tool." The box measures 15 x 24 x 5 cm.
Eleven brothers who have been turned into swans by their evil stepmother are saved by their beautiful sister.
- Subject Terms:
- Miniature books -- Specimens.
- Fairy tales/
Miniature books (Printing)
Leather bindings (Binding)
Wood engravings -- 1986.
Needlework (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.