Willie brew'd a peck o' maut.
- Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, England, 1835.
- Physical Description:
- 1 jug : relief-molded white stoneware, glazed ; height 16 cm, width 13 cm (including handle), depth 11 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsParks Jug 42.5Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Stephen Parks, Yale BA 1961View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Without maker's mark or registration mark.
Title and maker from Henrywood.
Henrywood, R. K. Illustrated guide to British jugs, plate 436
The jug depicts the titular character from Roberts Burns's "Willie brew'd a peck o' maut," drinking with two friends. A similar design was issued in 1851 by William Ridgway & Co. (see Hughes, v. 1, no. 105).
- Subject Terms:
- Drinking of alcoholic beverages.Parks, Stephen -- Provenance.
- Jugs (vessels)
Glazed ceramic ware (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.