Dudson, James, 1812-1882, Willie brew'd a peck o' maut, 1835
- Willie brew'd a peck o' maut.
- Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, England, 1835.
- Physical Description:
- 1 jug : relief-molded white stoneware, glazed ; height 16 cm, width 13 cm (including handle), depth 11 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsParks Jug 42.5Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Stephen Parks, Yale BA 1961Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The jug depicts the titular character from Roberts Burns's "Willie brew'd a peck o' maut," drinking with two friends. A similar design was issued in 1851 by William Ridgway & Co. (see Hughes, v. 1, no. 105).
Without maker's mark or registration mark.
Title and maker from Henrywood.
Henrywood, R. K. Illustrated guide to British jugs, plate 436
- Subject Terms:
- Drinking of alcoholic beverages.Parks, Stephen -- Provenance.
- Jugs (vessels)
Glazed ceramic ware (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.