- Manchester, England, 1920s?
- Physical Description:
- 1 biscuit tin ; 12 x 17 x 5 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK8459.A38 C3 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Gift of Celia Hopkinson in memory of Harry DawsonAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The lid of the tin incorporates an illustrated maze puzzle, on an automotive theme. Game play requires navigation of a marble along a groove, avoiding holes in the lid associated with hazards such as a "traffic hold up" and a "hairpin bend." The shape of the groove in the lid corresponds to the monogram CWS (for the Co-operative Wholesale Society). On the bottom of the tin is printed: "C.W.S. Crumpsall & Cardiff Biscuits." The item lacks the original marble.
Accompanied by 16 packets of gold leaf, four of which bear printed wrappers of George M. Whiley Limited, of South Ruislip and Whitfield Street, Tottenham Court Road, London.
Also accompanied by four pieces of manuscript ephemera from the family of Celia Hopkinson, including:  an autograph letter (unsigned), 2 March 1927, from Harry Dawson, of 76 Louise Rd, Stratford, to an unidentified entity (perhaps Louis Bloom) offering his services;  a typed letter signed, 8 March 1927, from Louis Bloom (Electrical Specialty Manufacturer) to Dawson, offering employment;  a receipt from H. Samuel Ltd. ("The Empire's Largest Jewellers") to Mrs. Pearce, of 76 Louise Rd., 29 August 193(?);  a partial sheet of ruled paper bearing the name and address of Miss G. Dawson, 56 Eton Street, Liverpool.
- Subject Terms:
- Automobile driving -- Great Britain.Automobiles -- Great Britain.Bloom, Louis (Electical Engineer)C.W.S. Crumpsall & Cardiff Biscuits.Dawson, Harry.H. Samuel (Firm)
- Tins (containers)
Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.