For a good child, fine water colours.
- Additional Title(s):
For a good child, fine watercolours
- [Great Britain], late 19th century?
- Physical Description:
- 1 box ; 11 x 14 x 2 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsWatercolor Box 25Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The wood box (probably balsa) includes 16 watercolor cakes. The hues are unnamed but includes shades of black, gray, white, brown, sienna, red, orange, green, purple, blue, and green. Also included is one small brush and a tiny mixing tray. All components lack an indication of maker.
The box was clearly intended for children, as suggested by the illustrated label affixed to the sliding lid. It depicts three children, including a young girl in a bonnet and two boys, one of whom playfully paints the cheek of the other.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' materials -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Watercolor painting -- 19th century -- Great Britain.
- Watercolor (paint)
Chromolithogaphs -- 1850.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.