Specimen of material used in the new ventilating hat : as exhibited, class 6, no. 58 / Gaimes, Sanders & Nicol, 22 Birchin Lane, Cornhill, & 111 Strand, London.
- Additional Title(s):
New ventilating hat
- [London] : [Gaimes, Sanders & Nicol], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 trade card : illustrations ; 9 x 13 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTS2185.G3 S64a FlatAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC: British Art Center copy is housed with a similar trade card printed on cork made for Gaimes, Sanders & Nicol's participation in the Royal Panopticon of Science and Art, 1854.
The trade card features a lithographed (?) illustration of the Crystal Palace. The illustration is signed: "Maclure MacDonald & MacGregor, London."
"As exhibited, class 6, no. 58" refers to the presence of Gaimes, Sanders, & Nicol's cork hats at the Great Exhibition, 1851, at the Crystal Palace, in Sydenham, London.
The card is printed on a thin sheet of cork. Contemporary advertisements for hats made by Gaimes, Sanders & Nicol touted their extreme lightness, durability, and ventilation, traits that made them attractive for the Australian and Indian markets.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Clothing trade -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Crystal Palace (Sydenham, London, England)Gaimes, Sanders & Nicol.Great Exhibition (1851 : London, England)Hat trade -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Hats -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Millinery -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
- Cork (bark)
Trade cards (advertising)
YCBA Collections Search
Gaimes, Sanders & Nicol, Specimen of material used in the new ventilating hat , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.