Albert Smith token.
- Additional Title(s):
Albert Smith's Egyptian Hall, Piccadilly, 1859, China
- Great Britain, 1859.
- Physical Description:
- 1 token : copper ; 22 mm in diameter
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTokens (Cabinet O)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The token was issued in conjunction with Albert Smith's entertainments at the Egyptian Hall, Piccadilly. These performances included Smith's description of his travels to China in 1858.
Davis, W.J. Tickets and passes of Great Britain and Ireland, page 69/179
Brown, L. Catalogue of British historical medals, 1760-1960, 2658
Batty's catalogue of the copper coinage of Great Britain, Ireland, British isles and colonies, local & private tokens jettons, &c Middlesex 486
The obverse depicts a bearded bust of Albert Smith, facing to the right. In small letters at bottom: "Pinches."
The reverse bears text: "Albert Smith's Egyptian Hall, Piccadilly, 1859, China."
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- England -- London.China.London (England) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Smith, Albert, 1816-1860.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.