Royal Society of Arts medal presented to Miss Long.
- Additional Title(s):
Inscribed on obverse: Honorary Pallet of the Society for Promoting Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce
Inscribed on reverse: To Miss Long, for a copy in pencil of a landscape, MDCCCXXVII
- London, 1827.
- Physical Description:
- 1 medal : silver ; 5.5 x 5 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFlat D 7Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The present award is also described in the Transactions of the Society, Instituted at London, for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce, vol. 45 (1827), page xxx: "To Miss Long, 52, Montague-square, for a copy in pencil of a landscape, the Silver Palette." In 1829, the Transactions ... record another award, page 48: "To Miss Elizabeth Long, 52, Montague-square, for a copy in chalk of a head, the Silver Isis Medal." The recipient is Elizabeth Mary Long (1813-1879), daughter of Walter Long and Lady Mary Carnegie. See: Petteys, Chris. Dictionary of Women Artists, page 448.
Inscribed on obverse, within a ribboned garland: "The Honorary Pallet of the Society for Promoting Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce."
Inscribed on reverse, within an unrolled scroll over a cluster of pencils: "To Miss Long, for a copy in pencil of a landscape, MDCCCXXVII."
The top of the medal is pierced with a small whole, for suspension.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, Amateur -- Great Britain.Long, Elizabeth Mary, 1813-1879.Royal Society of Arts (Great Britain)Women artists -- Great Britain.
YCBA Collections Search
Royal Society of Arts (Great Britain), Royal Society of Arts medal presented to Miss Long, 1827
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.