The Filoscope : skirt dance by the Sisters Hengler.
- Additional Title(s):
Skirt dance by the Sisters Hengler
- England, [1897?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 flip book ; 7 x 9 x 3 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTR878 .F5 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- "The Filoscope. Patented in Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Austria & United States. Henry W. Short, inventor & patentee, London. Made in England."--Printed on front of metal case.
"Manufactured by license from the Mutoscope & Biograph Syndicate Ltd. for the United Kingdom."--Stamped in black ink on back of metal case.
Restricted fragile material. Use requires permission of the Curator of Rare Books and Manuscripts.
"The Filoscope" is a type of flip book which was patented in 1897 by English filmmaker Henry William Short. Pages of the flip book are fixed in a tin plate holder; an iron lever is used to flip the pages through the viewing position. Filoscope flip books usually consisted of films by Robert Paul (1869-1943), a pioneer of the British film industry. The present example, made by Paul in 1897, is titled on the first page “Subject. Skirt Dance by the Sisters Hengler.” At the turn of the century the Hengler Sisters (May and Flora) achieved fame on both sides of the Atlantic for their singing and dancing act. The present flip book may have been produced to coincide with performances by the Hengler Sisters at the Royal Alhambra Theatre in London in mid-1897 (during their third European trip). See: Barnes, John. The rise of the cinema in Great Britain (1987), vol. 2.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements.Cinematography -- Equipment and supplies -- Specimens.Royal Alhambra Theatre (London, England)
- Flip books.
Motion pictures (visual works)
Gelatin silver prints.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.