John Palmer mail coach token.
- Physical Description:
- 1 token : copper ; diameter 27 mm, depth 1 mm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTokensYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Obverse: a mail coach pulled by four horses. Lettering: MAIL COACH HALFPENNY. TO TRADE EXPEDITION & TO PROPERTY PROTECTION. PAYABLE IN LONDON.
Reverse: text within a wreath pattern. Lettering: TO J. PALMER. ESQ. THIS IS INSCRIBED AS A TOKEN OF GRATITUDE FOR BENEFITS RECE'D FROM THE ESTABLISHMENT OF MAIL COACHES.
Dalton, R. Provincial token-coinage of the 18th century, Middlesex 364
Atkins, J. Tradesmen's tokens of the eighteenth century, 259
The token honors the theater proprietor and postal reformer, John Palmer (1742-1818).
- Subject Terms:
- Palmer, John, 1742-1818.Postal service -- Great Britain.Stagecoaches.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.