Der Gang zur Kirchweihe = Le tour à la fête du village = The going to the feast of the village.
- Additional Title(s):
Tour à la fête du village
Going to the feast of the village
- [Germany] : [publisher not identified], [mid-19th century]
- Physical Description:
- 1 box (1 game board, 8 markers, 8 cards, 1 sheet of instructions) ; box 15 x 18 x 4 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .G38 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Affixed to the base of the box is a printed label for "W. Wild, importer of French and German merchandise, dealer in English toys, &c. Birmingham and Sheffield Warehouse, wholesale & retail, no. 162 North Street, Corner of New Road, Brighton." William Wild's name appears in directories (as toy merchant to the Queen) in 1846 and 1858.
Title printed in parallel German, French, and English on box lid.
The game board (a hand-colored lithograph mounted on a folding piece of paperboard) bears four spiral paths leading to a village fair. Each player vies to arrive first to the village, with advancement along the paths dictated by the drawing of cards. The markers comprise eight figures mounted on wood stands. They include (as described in the instructions): a parson, postilion, cook, soldier, harper (i.e. harpist), student, country-woman, and a Jew. The same eight characters are represented on a pack of eight hand-colored cards, housed within a small green slipcase. Rules are provided in a sheet of letterpress ( pages). The game was issued in wooden box, the sliding lid of which bears a pictorial label.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- 19th century.Country life.Fairs.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1830.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.