IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Romanticism and illustration , 2019
Romanticism and illustration / edited by Ian Haywood, University of Roehampton; Susan Matthews, University of Roehampton; Mary Shannon, University of Roehampton.
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 325 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Reference LibraryNC978 .R64 2019 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 303-322) and index.
"This collection of essays takes a fresh look at the important role of illustration in Romantic literature. The late eighteenth century saw an explosion of illustrated editions of literary classics and the emergence of a new culture of literary art, including the innovative literary galleries. The impact of these developments on the reading and viewing of literary texts is explored in a series of case studies covering poetry, historical texts, drama, painting, reproductive prints, magazines and ephemera. Romanticism and Illustration argues for a more detailed study of illustration which includes the context of a wider circulation of images across different media. The modern understanding of the word 'illustration' fails to convey the complex relationship between the artist, the engraver, the publisher, the text and the audience in Romantic Britain. In teasing out the implications of this dynamic cultural matrix, this book opens up a new field of Romantic studies"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- English literature -- Illustrations.English literature -- Illustrations.Great Britain.Illustration of books -- Great Britain -- 18th century.Illustration of books -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Illustration of books.Illustrators -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.Illustrators -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Illustrators.Romanticism -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.Romanticism -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Romanticism in art.Romanticism in art.Romanticism.
- The ends of illustration : explanation, critique, and the political imagination in Blake's title-pages for Genesis / Peter Otto
- 'With a master's hand and prophet's fire' : Blake, Gray, and the bard / Sophie Thomas
- Seeing history : illustration, poetic drama, and the national past / Dustin M. Frazier Wood
- 'Fuseli's poetic eye' : prints and impressions in Fuseli and Erasmus Darwin / Martin Priestman
- Henry Fuseli's accommodations : 'attempting the domestic' in the illustrations to Cowper / Susan Matthews
- Reading the romantic vignette : Stothard illustrates Bloomfield, Byron, and Crabbe for the Royal engagement pocket atlas / Sandro Jung
- Intimate distance : Thomas Stothard's and J.M.W. Turner's illustrations of Samuel Rogers's Italy / Maureen McCue
- Illustration, terror and female agency : Thomas Macklin's Poets gallery in a revolutionary decade / Ian Haywood
- Maria Cosway's Hours : cosmopolitan and classical visual culture in Thomas Macklin's Poets gallery / Luisa Calè
- Artists' Street : Thomas Stothard, R.H. Cromek, and literary illustration on London's Newman Street / Mary L. Shannon
- The development of magazine illustration in Regency Britain : the example of Arliss's pocket magazine, 1818-1833 / Brian Maidment
- Coda : Romantic illustration and the privatization of history painting / Martin Myrone.