Lace sample book, circa [1860?]
- Lace sample book.
- Great Britain, circa [1860?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (19 leaves) : 64 lace samples ; 24 x 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTT800 .L33 1860+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Sample book containing 64 pieces of lace affixed to 19 leaves of an album. The compiler has secured the segments of lace to the pages by way of paired slits (near the top and bottom of each page). The lace samples include a mix of homemade bobbin lace and machine-made lace, most not very fine. Most of the pieces are no more than an inch wide, many less than half an inch wide, suggesting a use for trimming on cuffs or collars, or potentially small pillows. Many styles are represented, including Torchon lace, Barmen lace (a machine-made style), Valenciennes bobbin or machine lace, crochet lace, eyelet, and possibly some Cluny lace. There are two pieces of polychrome lace. Most of the samples appear to be cotton or linen, with a few made of silk.
The volume was likely made as a personal collection rather than as a commercial sample book, as there is no writing to indicate style numbers, prices, etc. Most of the samples appear to be no older than the nineteenth century, so the collector may not have had access to very old samples of lace, and there is no writing to indicate that the collector was trying to label them by style. It's possible that the sample book represents a combination of personal attempts at lace-making, and collecting together the remnants of purchased lace.
Leaves in the latter half of the volume are blank, except the penultimate leaf, which features an ink drawing of a window, into the middle of which has been pasted a scrap of a hand-colored engraving depicting two ladies dressed in fashions of the 1820s.
The leaves of the album are of various colors; some are watermarked, 1826 or 1830.
Bound in contemporary red half calf.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Lace and lace making -- Great Britain.Textile fabrics -- Sample books.Textile fabrics -- Specimens.
- Sample books.
Cluny bobbin lace.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.