Holmes, James (Weaver), Manuscript notes on weaving, 
- Manuscript notes on weaving. First year / by James Holmes, M.S.A.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Caption title, leaf 1: First year weaving
- [Burnley?] : [James Holmes?], 
- Physical Description:
- 132 leaves : illustrations ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTS1490.H6 M3 1912Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Lithographed throughout, providing a facsimile of manuscript notes. The volume explains concepts of weaving, including warp and weft and different weave structures, with instructions for weaving specific patterns, as well as detailed descriptions of mechanized and hand looms. Some of the numbered weaving grid patterns appear to be unfinished, but the text indicates that in lieu of a pattern, those numbers correspond to the cloth samples. Other blank grids seem to be designed for a student of weaving to fill in the grid according to the instructions for designing the pattern.
Title from front cover.
Signed at end of volume: "James Holmes & James Holmes Junr." The latter was the nephew of James Holmes, born 1890 or 1891.
Includes 33 cloth samples, pasted to leaves throughout.
This is apparently the first edition of the first year volume of Manuscript notes on weaving. Volumes for the second and third years (and a second edition of the volume for the first year) were published by Lupton Brothers, of Burnley. The present edition of the first year volume may have been published by the author.
- Subject Terms:
- Cotton weaving.Looms.Textile machinery.Weaving -- Patterns.Weaving -- Study and teaching.Weaving.
- Lithographs -- 1912.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.