Barringer, T. J, Unto this last , 
- Unto this last : two hundred years of John Ruskin / Tim Barringer, Tara Contractor, Victoria Hepburn, Judith Stapleton, and Courtney Skipton Long ; with contributions by Gavriella Levy Haskell, Sophie Lynford, Mohit Manohar, and Nicholas Robbins.
- New Haven : Yale Center for British Art, 
New Haven : Yale University Press
- Physical Description:
- 331 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 30 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.R895 .B37 2019 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "This publication accompanies the exhibition Unto This Last: Two Hundred Years of John Ruskin, co-organized by the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven (on view September 5-December 15, 2019) and at the Watts Gallery, Compton (on view March 10-May 31, 2020"--Colophon.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 316-318) and index.
"This book presents an innovative portrait of John Ruskin (1819-1900) as artist, art critic, social theorist, educator, and ecological campaigner. Ruskin's juvenilia reveal an early embrace of his lifelong interests in geology and botany, art, poetry, and mythology. His early admiration of Turner led him to identify the moral power of close looking. In The Stones of Venice, illustrated with his own drawings, he argued that the development of architectural style revealed the moral condition of society. Later, Ruskin pioneered new approaches to teaching and museum practice. Influential worldwide, Ruskin's work inspired William Morris, founders of the Labour Party, and Mahatma Gandhi. Through thematic essays and detailed discussions of his works, this book argues that, complex and contradictory, Ruskin's ideas are of urgent importance today"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction. John Ruskin : Seer of the Storm-Cloud / Tim Barringer -- Mountains in Miniature : Ruskin's Sketching and Empowerment / Tara Contractor -- "Books of the Hour" : Ruskin's First Editions / Victoria Hepburn -- On the Anvil : John Ruskin and the Work of Iron / Judith Stapleton -- Epilogue. Dust to Dust: Jorge Otero-Pailos after John Ruskin / Courtney Skipton Long -- Catalogue. part 2. The Nature of Seeing -- Going to Nature -- Professor Ruskin -- Ruskin's Global Legacy.
- Subject Terms:
- Ruskin, John, 1819-1900 -- Criticism and interpretation.Ruskin, John, 1819-1900 -- Exhibitions.