In memoriam cards : Sharpe's "Classic" British manufacture.
- [Bradford, England] : [W.N. Sharpe], [1936?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume ( pages) : cards ; 32 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT3390.S4 I5 1936+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from front cover. Bound in black cloth, stamped in silver.
The sample book (or catalog) includes 44 memorial cards and a smaller number of envelopes, manufactured for W.N. Sharpe Ltd. of Bradford, England. Most of the cards are of conventional size (8 x 12 cm), printed in black and silver. A small number of larger cards (18 x 12 cm) are also present. Each card bears example text noting a person's death (apparently fictitious), with mourning verse and imagery. The example dates of death are primarily 1833. One card at front is dated November 14th, 1936. The cards are pasted to gray leaves of the album. Printed on the leaves are stock numbers and prices for each item (in quantities from 12 to 100).
On the front pastedown are 40 verses and text. A note at bottom says: "Any of the above verses or texts may be had on any card, but not more than 8 lines of verse can be given at prices quoted for card. For special verses and texts see directions."
Directions, on page , include varied guidance: "... Special verses or texts may be had if required at the following extra charges ... Proofs, if required, are charged extra ... Envelopes are included in prices throughout this book. Where sample envelope is not shewn, plain black bordered envelopes will be supplied ..." Samples of black bordered envelopes are affixed to the rear pastedown.
- Subject Terms:
- Death.Grief.Mourning customs -- Great Britain.Stationery -- Great Britain.Stationery trade -- Great Britain.W.N. Sharpe Ltd. -- Catalogs.
- Memorial cards.
Mourning borders (Publishing)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.