Plates from Journal des dames et des modes.
- Additional Title(s):
Journal des dames et des modes. Selections.
- Paris, 1826.
- Physical Description:
- 53 prints : hand-colored engravings ; sheets 22 x 14 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT860 .J68 1826Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Helen ChillmanAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Many of the illustrations in Journal des dames et des modes were by Pierre de la Mésangère.
Plates are variously captioned at top "Costume parisien" or "Costumes parisiens." The date is at top left; a sequential number at top right.
Collection of 53 loose fashion plates, 47 of women's fashion and 6 of men's, all dated 1826, from the French periodical Journal des dames et des modes. The plates of women's fashions are mostly day ensembles, with some evening ensembles, five plates just of hats, and one wedding dress (it is white, predating Queen Victoria's famous white wedding dress by 14 years). The men's plates are various day ensembles. All of the plates have descriptive captions in French (at foot), including some that indicate specific shops or tailors in Paris where particular accessories or garments may be purchased or made up.
Though the plates are French, they likely would have circulated in England. English women may have been exposed to them through travel on the Continent, and French plates were often transported to England and either directly copied or imitated in periodicals or by dressmakers (Townsend's monthly selection of Parisian costumes, founded in 1822, is often cited as the first English periodical to specifically import Parisian plates for distribution in England).
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- France.Costume -- France.Fashion -- France.Hats -- France.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1826.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.