Canada and Impressionism : new horizons, 1880-1930 / Katerina Atanassova ; prologue by Adam Gopnik ; and essays by Tobi Bruce, Anna Hudson, Laurier Lacroix, Loren Lerner, Tracey Lock, Gerta Moray, Sandra Paikowsky ; editor: Rosemary Shipton for the National Gallery of Canada.
- [English edition].
- [Ottawa] : National Gallery of Canada ; [Stuttgart] : Arnoldsche Art Publishers, 
- Physical Description:
- 294 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), facsimiles, maps, portraits ; 29 cm
- Reference LibraryND244.5.I4 C36 2019 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 284-287) and index.
Catalog of an exhibition held at Kunsthalle München, Munich, July 19 - November 17, 2019; Fondation de l'Hermitage, Lausanne, January 24 - May 24, 2020; Musée Fabre, Montpellier, June 13 - September 27, 2020; National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, October 30, 2020 - March 21, 2021.
A detailed chronology explores the multifaceted ways in which Canadians contributed to the evolution of Impressionism. Follow these Canadian artists as they travel abroad and return home again, over a series of journeys taking place during the last decades of the nineteenth century to the turn of the twentieth. Approximately 125 masterworks by some 35 artists situate Canadian art within the global phenomenon of Impressionism and present a fresh perspective on its reception in the arts of Canada. Adopting a thematic approach, comprehensive essays demonstrate the commitment of these pioneering artists to an innovative interpretation of foreign and familiar surroundings, imbued with an Impressionist vocabulary. With contributions by Katerina Atanassova, Tobi Bruce, Anna Hudson, Laurier Lacroix, Loren Lerner, Tracey Lock, Gerta Moray, Sandra Paikowsky and Adam Gopnik.
- Subject Terms:
- Impressionism (Art)Impressionism (Art) -- Canada -- Exhibitions.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- Prologue: Canada and world Impessionism / Adam Gopnik
- Rethinking Impressionism in Canada: an introduction / Katerina Atanassova
- Canadian artists abroad: the paradox of Paris / Tobi Bruce
- Impressions of France: Canadians in the countryside / Katerina Atanassova
- Canadian artists at the water's edge / Sandra Paikowsky
- Youth and sunlight: reflections of childhood / Loren Lerner
- Quiet pursuits: Canadian Impressionsts and the "new woman" / Anna Hudson
- A journey home: Canadian Impressionists return / Laurier Lacroix
- Painting Canada: from Impressionism to Modernism / Gerta Moray
- Epilogue: New World Impressionism / Tracy Lock
- List of plates
- Chronology: Impressionism abroad and at home / Julie Nash and Krista Broeckx.