A. & S. Henry & Co, A. & S. Henry & Co. letter to I. Edmondson & Co., requesting samples of woolen goods, 1846 February 6
- A. & S. Henry & Co. letter to I. Edmondson & Co., requesting samples of woolen goods.
- Manchester, England, 1846 February 6.
- Physical Description:
- 1 folded sheet (1 page) : autograph letter signed ; sheet 26 x 42 cm, folded to 26 x 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHD9969.K6 H4 1846 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Full transcription: "Manchester, 6th Feby. 1846. Messrs. I. Edmondson & Co., Kendal. Dear sirs, You sent us some very good knitted mitts to order [?] 34. Can you do the same article?, equally stout, in socks for menswear? If so please forward us some examples; also of mitts, overalls, stockings, &c &c. suitable for a Canadian winter. Let us have these examples very soon [the words "very soon" underlined], & then we can hand an order, as also for scarlet caps. Should Mr. E. be in Manchester on Monday or Tuesday next, we will please call. [illegible] the lowest prices. Yours truly, A. & S. Henry & Co."
The textile company A. & S. Henry & Co. was established by brothers Alexander and Samuel Henry in Manchester in 1805. In the early 19th century, the firm had branches in Bradford, Huddersfield, Leeds, Belfast and Glasgow, with an export business to North America and (later) Brazil and Australia.
Parson & White's Directory for Cumberland and Westmorland, 1829, includes a listing for: "Edmondson, Isaac, woollen mfr., Castle St., Kendal." The Cumbria Archive Centre, Kendal, has archival material, 1845-1877, for "Ireland, Edmondson & Co, woollen goods manufacturers" (see NRA 30983 Cumbria misc).
Written in black ink, on the first page of a folded sheet.
Page  bears the address to Messrs. I. Edmundson & Co., Kendal; a red one penny stamp; a postmark, stamped in blue ink; and faint remnants of a wax seal.
- Subject Terms:
- A. & S. Henry & Co.Clothing and dress -- Canada.Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Hats.Hosiery.I. Edmondson & Co.Ireland, Edmondson & Co.Knit goods -- Canada.Knit goods -- Great Britain.Knit goods industry -- Great Britain.Mittens.Textile industry -- Great Britain.Wool fabrics -- Canada.Wool fabrics -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.