Guy Fawkes : or, The Gunpowder plot : an historical drama in three acts : written expressly for and adapted to Webb's characters & scenes in the same.
- London : Printed and published by W. Webb, 
- Physical Description:
- 18 pages,  leaf of plates : illustrations ; 15 cm and 22 sheets : color lithographs ; 17 x 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsToy Theater Webb Guy FawkesYale Center for British Art, Gift of Hans P. KrausView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Juvenile drama emerged in England soon after 1800, forming itself from the adult drama of the time. The plays were adapted from their original stage version into a miniature toy version with actors, costumes and scenery intended for a juvenile audience. Characters and scenes were intended to be cut out and dramatized.
G. A. Macfarren's Guy Fawkes, or, The Gunpowder plot was first performed at Cobury in 1822. See: Speaight.
Date of publication from Speaight.
Speaight, G. History of the English toy theatre, pages195-196, 207
BAC: British Art Center copy is complete. All pieces are colored. The characters have been cut out from the original sheets. British Art Center copy accompanied by a handwritten booklet, 3 lists of characters, 2 lists of cues and 1 diagram.
- Subject Terms:
- Ballads, English -- Juvenile drama.Children's plays, English.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1854.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.