Blue beard : or, Female curiosity : a drama in two acts : written expressly for and adapted to Webb's characters & scenes in the same.
- London : Printed and published by W. Webb, 
- Physical Description:
- 18 pages ; 15 cm and 23 sheets : lithographs ; 17 x 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsToy Theater Webb Blue beardYale Center for British Art, Gift of Hans P. KrausAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Juvenile drama emerged in England soon after 1800, forming itself from the adult drama of the time. The plays were adapted from their original stage version into a miniature toy version with actors, costumes and scenery intended for a juvenile audience. Characters and scenes were intended to be cut out and dramatized.
George Colman's Blue Beard was first performed at Drury Lane in 1798. See: Speaight.
Date of publication from Speaight.
Speaight, G. History of the English toy theatre, pages 195-196, 204
BAC: British Art Center copy is complete. All pieces are uncolored. The characters are uncut.
- Subject Terms:
- Ballads, English -- Juvenile drama.Children's plays, English.
Lithographs -- 1861.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.